Hakkalugi Rebuild IV (Monday Blues): Aaaaaauuuuuggggggghhhhh!

Thoughts of regret and second guessing have been creeping into my hours of consciousness lately. Building up an older frame is nothing like building up a newer frame. I had hoped to be finished with the rebuild by now, in fact with the start of cyclocross season less than a month away, I would have preferred to be done with it and running practice sessions. Obsolete sizes and component designs which don't mesh with more vintage frame geometries have me wondering over the worthiness of the project. Should I have just bought that Major Jake, and been done with it? The latest round of palm-to-forehead revolves around the bottom bracket (b.b.) / crankset.



We, meaning the LBS and I, tried three different b.b. and crank set ups including what I really wanted on there - the set from Campy's CX line, none of which had clearance at the chain stay. I assumed that since an external b.b. had worked just fine on the Basso, the same would work here. Of course I didn't take into account that the Basso is specifically a road frame, with narrow profile, straight stays, while those of the Ibis flare out immediately from the b.b. shell to provide more clearance for wider tires. It appears as though the only option available will be a b.b. with square tapered spindle. Heavier and more maintenance, but what are you going to do?

In the last update I documented the trouble in finding a more recent seat post, size 27.1, finally settling on one I, fortunately, was able to scrounge from the parts bin. And now the bottom bracket. Ah, the hazards of trying to build up an older frame with newer parts. Looking at what is left, I believe this should mark an end to the difficulties. That is what I am hoping for (no more delays); when I stopped by the shop this weekend the poor frame looked forlorn and dejected hanging there upside down, incomplete and waiting to be ridden.

Blue: A color, a mood or emotion, a genre of music. Tune in each Monday for another installment of the Blues, with a cycling twist.

Comments