Hakkalugi Rebuild VI: Finale

Ever since I first discovered there was a local cyclocross scene, a few years back, I made it a goal to get myself a cross bike and give it a try. Late last year (2013) I was presented with an opportunity to buy, what I believe, is a first year (1997) Ibis Hakkalugi. I didn't immediately jump, but when the price was lowered I snatched it up right away. It was just the frame and fork which meant I was going to have to build it from the ground up. Almost always a plus. In an amazing display of unselfishness, the old Yellow Basso once again sacrificed various componentry to get the build finished in a timely manner, and expand my riding possibilities. Other parts came from the parts bin, while others were purchased new. Everything works well as is, but I do want need an orange seat post clamp, and still plan to get a matched set of CX wheels.

Anyway, the specs as built right now:
  1. 1997 Ibis Hakkalugi frameset. The original fork was ultimately deemed unusable and replaced with a brand new Surly 'Check fork.
  2. Chris King headset, new
  3. Felt 6061 Superlite stem, new
  4. Bianchi Reparto Corse handlebars, new with Cinelli cotton bar wrap.
  5. Campagnolo Chorus 10-speed brake / shifter levers, from the Basso
  6. unidentified (but Thompson-like) seat post, from the parts bin
  7. Ritchey WCS saddle, new
  8. Campagnolo CX cantilever brakes, new
  9. Campagnolo Chorus 10-speed rear derailleur, from the Basso
10. FSA Vero 165mm cranks and 46/36 chainring set, new
11. Shimano Acera front derailleur, from the parts bin
12. Shimano housing and cable, new and paired with some Jagwire housing ends from the parts bin
13. A very old Mavic Cosmos rear wheel with a Continental Cyclocross Race tire (700x35). Hard to believe I, once upon a time, climbed everything with the 21-12 cassette. That was then, this is now, and that gearing is mostly useless for CX. Need to get a 23 at the least.
14. Quasar Q2 front wheel with Schwalbe CX Pro tire (700x30), wheel from the parts bin, tire new.
15 Irish flag, well if you have seen the very first photos of the Basso, you will know that it flew from its saddle more than twenty years ago.








I want to give a big thanks to Coates Cyclery for all their help. To Corey for tracking down all the various parts, for sticking with it when those parts proved difficult to find, when what arrived did not match what had been ordered. Thanks to Demi who started off the rebuild process and offered advice. Then thanks to everyone else behind the scenes who chimed in, or helped out. I am sure it would have cost me far more, in both money and frustration, if I had attempted to find all the parts in their correct sizes, diameters, and blah, blah, blahs. There were moments when the whole process seemed overly time consuming, but I am convinced it would have been even worse if not for my local bike shop.

New Year, New Project
Monday Blues: Stripped
Hakkalugi Rebuild I: Headset and Fork
Hakkalugi Rebuild: Stems and Bars
Hakkalugi Rebuild III: Seatpost and Saddle
Hakkalugi Rebuild IV (Monday Blues): Aaaaaauuuuuggggggghhhhh!
Hakkalugi Rebuild V: B.B., Cranks, Rings, & Brakes

Comments

Post a Comment