From the Archives: 1995 Tour of Hurricane


Why yes, that is me. Not taking things too seriously before my start during the Tour of Hurricane Time Trial in 1995. The TT was the second stage of the three stage race in Utah. Beside a mishap during the first stage, I was still having a decent race that year going into the TT. The time trial was a short, maybe five mile, course - the first half flat, the second a climb. Heading out from the start house (such as it was) I pulled out of a pedal, and then could never find my happy place along the flat, constantly shifting my position while pushing into a moderate headwind. Once I hit the climb, though, everything changed. I found my rhythm, caught my thirty-second man half way up, and the minute man at the top, but still only good enough for the 9th best time. In comparison, the stage winner (Robert Chapman) was a full two minutes faster - he was in a completely different league from everyone else.

Comments