Crazy Legs: I'll Be Around, Yeah

I fed the Hakkalugi a little dirt yesterday, in the evening. Once a week on the green machine, that is my goal. That little bit seems to keep it… well I was going to say happy, but that is not right. It keeps it satisfi… no, that is not it either. Once a week keeps it from rebelling. That comes closest, I suppose.

As the thought settled in, it brought a song to mind, one I had heard earlier in the day and, though it is ostensibly a love song (or failed love song), I realized it is actually about bicycles - a special kind of bike, the kind that has not been ridden for far too long. The kind waiting patiently in dusty corner of garage, or dark basement. The kind of bike that will always be there, when you are ready to give it a spin. The Spinners (I'll Be Around): 

"…
But I know there's always a chance
A tiny spark will remain, yeah
And sparks turn into flames
And love can burn once again
But I know you know

Whenever you call me, I'll be there
Whenever you want me, I'll be there
Whenever you need me, I'll be there
I'll be around, yeah
…"

Anyway, I don't think any of the bikes belonging to the Crazy Legs riders have that problem; they get plenty of use.

Mine on the other hand, came dangerously close to being turned into those bikes. In fact until two weeks ago, I came close to devolving into one of those riders, the kind who shows up to rides but somehow, and mysteriously, never actually manages to ride. That is how mileage-deficient I had become. Thank goodness Bike Week helped to set me straight, and things are looking up once again.


the Euro

lets go already

Coates. Riders.

pewter sky

Comments