Monday Blues at the Green Bike Program


Disgraceful. As a local blogger I, from time to time, receive chatter about things in the community. Sometimes I retell the information through the blog, others I keep to myself. For instance, over the years I have heard disparaging things about the Green Bike Program at Pitzer College. In each of those instances I have kept mum for a couple reasons: First, I have always, and still do, consider the program to be a worthwhile endeavor on the part of the students, and second, I have had no first-hand experience in the matters being discussed.  

But, Sunday morning I came upon such a scene of disregard that it made me shiver at the callousness. Bikes in various states of disrepair were strewn about the gravel and piled up in ignominious abandonment outside the GBP's brand new facility. I mean, if this is how you treat the bikes that next year's students will be riding…

I will be diplomatic and let you form your own conclusion. And who knows, maybe there is even a perfectly good explanation. If so, lets hear it. I am guessing that the students who make up the Green Bike Program are now gone for the summer, so maybe these were collected by college maintenance crews who, not knowing quite what else to do with them, simply piled them up here? Maybe they are unredeemable junk beyond hope. There are many possible reasons, but I can't think of a single good one.

Blue: A color, a mood or emotion, a genre of music. Tune in each Monday for another installment of the Blues, with a cycling twist.

Comments