From the Archives: 1995 Red Cliffs Mall Criterium

Since I happen to be in these images you can blame me for not providing a good show, but not for any quality issues relating to the photos themselves, for this months' From the Archives. Actually since the old Yashica didn't have any form of autofocus, and the future Mrs. didn't have any experience with the camera, I am kind of surprised they came out as well as they did. Shown are a sequence of five laps during the 1995 Red Cliffs Mall Criterium, in St. George, Utah after which, I don't know, maybe the film was used up. It was the final stage of that years' renamed Tour of Hurricane.

yes, that is moi (me) bringing up the rear...

but wait, what is this? no longer quite last...


still hanging out at the back, but...


moving on up along the outside (my favored and, usually ill-conceived, way to do it)...


almost to the front now.

Did I ever mention how much I disliked criterium racing - mostly my dislike stemmed from my poor showing in them. "Todays crit was, of course, unlikely to change things much in the overall placings. I pretty much sat at the back the whole 45:00 until, with 2 laps to go, I made my appearance at the front, on the wheel of Mr. Chapman (Robert Chapman who, by that time had the overall win locked up tight). Unfortunately he didn't feel like pulling (and didn't need to do so) the whole way around and I found myself at the lead with another half a lap to go. Needless to say I could only finish in the bunch."

Comments