Cubbing at the Cub House

A nursery. I was almost back home when I suddenly realized what used to be in this space. When I lived in Pasadena I used to take Mission through this area of San Marino every time I rode to work in Highland Park. I had even stopped in at the nursery a few times; it was a pretty cool one. But that was a long time ago. Now this space at the corner of Mission and Euclid is home to the Cub House, the boutique bike shop and club house that was previously located in nearby South Pasadena. I never visited that shop, a regrettable fact that provided extra incentive to stop by today for their grand reopening.


The Cub House folks went all in for the big day. The shop itself is a draw, but today there was also a bike show in the front and a bike swap wrapping around the side and every free foot in the back. 100 Tacos was there with their bike-pulled kitchen. Off to the corner you could get jack fruit tacos. Coffee was being served, as was ice cream, and the fruit cart. If you had forgotten your wallet the Cub House had grilled up complimentary hot dogs. You could play ping-pong inside, prick your fingers in the cactus room, ogle the bikes for sale, as well as those in the show, await the raffle, talk to the Mount Wilson Bicycle Association guys about their good work, or just walk around and take photos. 

It was good to see David and Sean, of Sunset Cycles, there. David's freshly painted bike was entered in the show. Speaking of the bike show, it was almost too difficult deciding which to cast my vote for; in the end, though, I just had to give it to the Dario Pegoretti road bike. John "the Radavist" had to have been somewhere around since his Toyota was parked out front; if you had been there you might have noticed a goodly number of people who have been featured at his site.

If I had not felt pressed for time I could have easily taken up residence in one of the chairs and enjoyed where I was, but in the end, a couple pair of socks and a sticker later I needed to get going. Dust covered after a couple laps of the Rock and Sand Club Loop in the morning left me in need of a shower before the Claremont Art Walk tonight. If you are passing by anywhere near San Marino, check out the all new Cub House.











Russian Masi












the Stinner Room



box of bottles

a hundred people for 100 Tacos


David's Sunset


checking the Masi


the Pogliaghi

jack fruit tacos

the cactus room












Eddy Twerckx

hawkin' the raffle

time to clock out

Comments